random daily thoughts. with some "i just beat cancer" stuff thrown in.

Monday, February 20, 2006

My birthday is on Thursday. I'm excited. Not because I'm doing anything in particular, but because I'm able to have a birthday. I never thought I'd be glad to be getting older, but I am. I am. I'm excited that this birthday I feel healthy. Last birthday I was gearing up for my second chemo treatment. This birthday I want to drink bloody mary for breakfast and eat mexican food.

John was in Breckenridge all weekend, so the animals and I lounged around the house. It was bliss. Isabel and I took up the entire bed. The dogs and I played, I refilled the pond, cleaned up a bit and got two good workouts at the gym.

Last night I had my first French class... We made mussels for the first course. I am not opposed to the taste of mussels, it's the texture. I ate the entire bowl, because I'm all about sucking it up and trying things I don't necessarily *like*, but I have to say, mussels are still not my favorite. We baked our own bread and made a pesto broth to coat the mussels. Then we roasted some lamb with a pistachio herb crust (yum!), made an onion, tomato, zucchini & eggplant tian as a side, and a potato gallete in.... drumroll, please.... DUCK FAT. The tian was really good. I liked the other vegetables better than the eggplant. Eggplant can have a bit of a bitter taste. The tomatoes were perfect.

Then, dessert. I am not a dessert girl, but OH SWEET HEAVEN. It was one of the best desserts I have ever experienced. Pain perdu in an apricot Grand Marnier sauce. GOD BLESS AMERICA. I was so full after dinner... like, Thanksgiving full... but I stuffed that pain perdu down the hatch like there was no tomorrow. I will definitely try that recipe at home.

We made so much bread that we all took home half a loaf. We got to try two wines, a white with the mussels and a red with the lamb. It was so fun. I heart cooking school. Tonight my goal will be to not eat so much that I want to cry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duane said...

Hey Ally. Thanks for confirming that heavy feeling I have in my chest. I at least I know I'm not crazy. :) Did you tell your doc about it? What was their response?

2/20/06, 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Ally said...

Both my medical onc and my radiation onc say that the tumor area will feel "tight" and I will notice the little aches and pains for at least the next year. But I've heard many survivors say it can last longer than that. Just another side effect of all the crummy treatment, you know?

At least we can commiserate with eachother! :)

2/20/06, 11:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home