random daily thoughts. with some "i just beat cancer" stuff thrown in.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006




One year ago today I was in bed, recovering from surgery where I had the tumor removed from my neck for biopsy. One year ago today I got the phone call from Dr. Barnes, telling me that I did, indeed, have cancer. One year ago today I walked into the home office, sat down on the couch next to John and cried.

I cried, then dried my tears and said "..... This blows." Then I paused and said "I'm going to kick cancer's ass." I was never so determined to do something in my entire life.

One year ago today I called my parents and my boss to give them the news.

One year ago today I had long blond hair, and the prospect of all that hair falling out was the worst thing I could think of. The prospect of having a semi permanent catheter installed in my chest made me want to cry. The prospect of being sick made me furious, and the prospect of letting cancer get in my way was unacceptable.

And today I am cancer free. Today I am working hard. Today I will go to the gym at lunch and work out, which is a gift that at times, seemed impossible. Today I will run. Today I have short brown hair, and today I know that losing your hair is not the worst thing that can happen. Today I know what a pleasure it is to wake up early and be able to do things for myself. Today I know that being healthy is the most wonderful thing I can think of. Today I am thankful for John and his patience. Today I know that there really is nothing that would pull us apart. Today my lungs are clear and I can breathe. Today I am not in pain.

Today is the greatest day ever.

5 Comments:

Blogger oakland heidi said...

SO proud of you. You inspire us all.

1/26/06, 4:03 PM

 
Blogger Duane said...

Hi Allyson. I found your blog via Tianna, who has a dynamic site of her own: http://www.caringbridge.org/ny/tianna/index.htm

I just found your site so I haven't had the opportunity to read it in depth, but it looks great and I bet there's a lot we share. For starters, I'm 25 and my sign is Pisces. But for the important stuff, yes I too have cancer (although I will soon use "had"). I have relapsed Hodgkin's Disease and am presently in the hospital undergoing high dose chemo and an autologous stem cell transplant.

It's so wonderful to find others out there, who can relate. I will bookmark your blog. You're most inspiring. I hope you know that, which is why I'd like to copy your most recent post onto my blog (with credit to you, of course) because like Tianna, I found it so wonderful.

You can respond/check out my blog at: http://journalofaprizefighter.blogspot.com

Stay well.
Duane

1/29/06, 8:50 PM

 
Blogger cha said...

That is probably one of the most inspiring things I have ever read. Congratulations on everything!

(found your blog browsing through randomly)

1/29/06, 8:56 PM

 
Blogger Duane said...

Ally, by the way, where did you find that kick-ass shirt on your blog? Where can I purchase one?

1/31/06, 8:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Allyson,

My name is Judy and i am a friend of Duane's (who is currently undergoing stem cell transplantation). I read your blog with tears in my eyes and i wanted to tell you how inspiring you are. May God continue to bless you and John. Love, Judy

2/3/06, 2:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home