random daily thoughts. with some "i just beat cancer" stuff thrown in.

Monday, March 20, 2006

~Back from Cancun~


After getting stuck in Phoenix BOTH WAYS, we are finally back from our vacation in Mexico. The airlines wouldn't give us our connecting boarding passes, and we had to wait in line all over again and recheck our luggage. So by the time we got to the front of the line our plane had already left. The Sky Harbor airport is the WORST airport ever. We have vowed to avoid Phoenix at all costs in the future. We made the best of our delays and enjoyed ourselves anyway.

The weather in Mexico was perfect. We spent much of our days lounging at the swim up bar, drinking banana monkeys and pina coladas and having fun. We had incredible dinners every night. I've never consumed so much amazing food in one week! We went to Crab House, where we had lobster, king crab, huge shrimp, and some of the best bread and garlic butter. At the Cambalache Steak House I ordered a 14 ounce steak (what was I thinking?) and it was goooood. We checked out Ruth's Chris in Cancun and had the most tender filet mignon and potato gratin. SO GOOD.

The funniest part of the whole trip were these two brothers that were a bit mentally challenged. They decided to follow us around ALL WEEK and we became their new best friends. Their names were Mike and Joe. Conversations with Mike went a little like this:

Mike: Hey, John, Allyson, Chris, Katy, Tom, Dan!! There are my friends! HEEEEEEY GUYYYYYYS!
Us: Hi!
Mike: Do you like the Orioles?
Me: Sure.
Mike: You sure are lucky to have met me, I'm one of the most popular-est guys anywhere I go.
Us: Yeah.
Mike: So what do you think about the Orioles?
Me: Um...
Mike: Hey, Allyson, you are getting sunburned. (which I wasn't) Let me spray some sunscreen on you.
Me: Um...
Mike: Hey, I'm not hitting on you or anything, I know that John is your husband. You don't have to tell him I'm putting sunscreen on you...
Me: I think I'm good... thanks anyway.
Mike (spraying me with sunscreen anyway) Here, you're getting really red. Do you like the Orioles?
Me: I think I have to go over there now.
Mike: Will you guys think of me when you go back to Colorado? 'Cause I'll think of you guys... you guys are the coolest and sweetest.
Us: Sure we will!
Joe(Mike's brother): He thinks about yous guys all the time. He gets so excited, he comes down here and waits for you at the pool every day!
Us: Yay.

And so on and so forth. This happened every day. EVERY DAY.
Thursday we decided to go a sister hotel to check out their pool, and as we're walking in, guess who we see? You guessed it, Mike and Joe. It was almost eery how they would show up everywhere we were.
I'm telling you, you wouldn't believe it unless it happened to you. Too funny.

The last night we had dinner at the hotel's fancy-dancy restaurant, El Conquistador. They make many of the dishes table side, which was way cool. And there was an amazing spanish guitarist playing through dinner. We just had so much fun.

Cancun looked very good considering the hurricane damage. Some of the hotels are still under construction, but many are fully functioning. The beaches still need a little work, but they are still quite beautiful. The villa we stayed in was fantastic. It was just such a good time.

Hard to come back to work this morning. It snowed a ton last night. Ah, the dichotomy.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home